MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10217 Post(s)
Liked 5,926 Times in 3,193 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
My reading comprehension is poor this morning. I see what you're asking now.

Those sleeves are fairly long, so you might have a decent amount there to work with, but like you said who knows how much has been trimmed off already. Should be reasonably easy to get a feeler gauge through the gaps in the star nut and figure out how low the insert goes.

s far as the risk of pushing the star nut down, the biggest thing I would be afraid of is it pushing the star nut too far and it dropping out the bottom of the sleeve, then it living in your fork crown forever. I'd probably want to use a star nut setter with a depth stop and trim steer tube > push star nut down > trim steer tube > push star nut down. The entire sleeve breaking free would be no big deal IMO so long as it didn't take out any carbon with it.
Thank you! I'll try to fashion a feeler out of wire. I don't think my old valve gap things will work. I've never seen a star nut tool with a depth stop, but I could also make one with a hose clamp. One of my fears is knocking the sleeve down beyond where I could retrieve it. I could get another one easily enough, but there might be further complications.