View Single Post
Old 04-26-24, 03:01 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 494 Posts
Bent Chainstay Under Brake Bridge

I received this frame-set (from France), about 4 years ago, in a box with no packing. The drive-side seat-stay was collapsed at a single point, under the brake bridge, all the way to the left, so that the dropouts were nearly touching. I got a flat piece of wood in between them and opened them up enough so that I could support the frame from under-neath (with wood) and I got my foot onto the inside of the drive-side seat-stay and bounced on it. This brought it back some, and I began to think the frame had a chance. I then brought it to my co-op, where they did a little better, and got my dropouts back to 120mm and parallel with each-other. Never-the-less, there is still a tiny bit of bend at the crease on the side of the seat-stay. The bike rides great. There is no functional problem, but is this location tenable? I have heard of frame-straightening tools, and I could probably find someone in Boston, but figured an experienced opinion on this repair would not hurt. I am not as concerned with the 1/4" crease that is 2 1/8" from the brake bridge as I am the straightness of the stay. Would this be easy to correct?

Last edited by 1989Pre; 04-28-24 at 11:36 AM.