View Single Post
Old 04-26-24, 11:04 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 93 Posts
The 1960s fillet brass brazed models do not come up for sale very often. I have two. They still demand good prices if they are in very good condition.

The EF models are every where for dirt cheap to free. I have about 50 waiting for conversions and I get about 10 to 20 every year. There were 3 Schwinn dealers (one dating back to 1896) where I live and they sold a lot of the lower priced Schwinns. The frames are mostly indestructible and supplied with lousy brakes and gears and perhaps the heaviest 27" rims ever made. I have converted scores to single speed bikes. My preferred build is to use 26" aluminum rims with 1.5 to 1.75 tires with a coaster brake. The flat blade fork on the Varsity has more room for bigger tires. The tubular forks on the Continental and the other variantes are limited to 1.5" . I remove the brakes, derailleurs, the large sprocket. Add flat bars. That takes about 9 pounds of weight off the bike. Cutting off the cable stops really helps clean up the look and removes the flesh grabbers.

Here is a link to some of the single speed conversions I've done.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickpau...th/52154339641

This is a 1973 Varsity I resto-modded last year for the 50th RAGBRAI.

Last edited by rickpaulos; 04-26-24 at 11:08 PM.
Likes For rickpaulos: