View Single Post
Old 04-28-24, 08:08 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 319 Posts
Am I the only one who remembers when a high dollar USA brand mentioned here as a "Quality" brand of carbon fiber components had a couple of wheels fail when being tested by a certain roseate bicycle web site? Or the time some folks who CNC their frames out of forged aluminum had a swing arm fail for the same web site? I have had a carbon fiber seat post fail on my hardtail. And an aluminum handlebar on a road bike...

I once had a suspension bolt shear on a cute little two seat European car associated with quality, probably due to a previous owner's low quality workmanship. The bolt installed was not of the grade specified the shop manual.

So, absolutely do look around. There are people who review bike stuff who post it when it fails. The roseate web site was one when I was reading it. Not sure now that they have gone "corporate". Hate him all you like, but the Orange Squirrel does post some truly horrid QC fails. So do a few others: Peak Torque and DC Rainmaker both used to but I haven't read them in a while. Hopefully they still do.

And the seat post that failed under me? I have four of them. Still have them on road bikes, but none on any hardcore off road bike. And the ICAN seat post on my fat bike survived another winter of abuse.