cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony_G
I just picked up my new Trek Domane SL 5. I had it weighted at the shop and with Race Face Chester pedals (360 grams per pair) already attached it was 21 pounds 7 ounces. This is with with tubeless tires. Deducting the pedals, it comes out to 20.64 pounds (sorry for mixing pounds and ounces, grams, and decimal pounds).

The Trek site says a size 56 cm 2024 SL 5 weighs 19.69 pounds (tubeless, no pedals). My frame size is 50 cm, so if anything I would expect it to be lighter. I know there is some variation with carbon frames, but is almost a whole pound out of the ordinary?

It is still a nice bike, and I am looking forward to taking my first real ride on it tomorrow. But I also feel that I didn’t get everything that I paid for.
Have the same experience. I just purchased a new 22-23 Emonda SL5, 56 cm from local TREK store, and it weights, in stock form, with older Ultegra SPD-SL pedals 21.4 lbs. (6 oz) which is more than my 1980 58cm Colnago Super (Columbus SP tubing with Roubaix wheels & Tubulars) !
I ABSOLUTELY feel the weight when riding - which tells me most of it is in the wheels.
The frame is 500 OCLV (differing geometry, but prolly very similar in the amount of CF used as the Domane). Because I don;t have a 2nd disc wheelset (other than the weightier wheels on my gravel bike), I haven't taken the stock wheels off yet and subbed some lighter better wheels. WHen I get a moment I will take off both front & rear wheels and weight the wheels and then remaining bike - my guess is the extra pork are the wheels & tires... Plus I would guess the TERK weight is done with the short seatmast/post - I have the Long Mast.
I bought the bike full well knowing I was going to replace the wheels - buying a stock TREK EMonda with good carbon wheels meant I needed to also buy DI2, which I didn;t want.
So I have a set of CF 45mm wheels coming as replacement. My guess is that the CF wheels at 1400-1500 g and good/light tires & TPU tubes will drop the weight 2.5 lbs. Not fabulous, better.
And I am guessing that carbon bars/stem, some eggbeater or newer SPD-SL pedals, and a lighter cassette will drop close to a further pound. That 105 cassette is a true mooring anchor.
The stock Disc rotors are quite burly, so some lighter rotors (>130g) might drop at least another .25 lbs.
... haven't measured the stock saddle weight - but that likely is also carrying dead weight...
SO finally maybe slightly below 19 lbs.... but then 'Disc Brakes' can easily cost 1 extra lb over rim brake... on otherwise equal setups...
Which makes sense, since my 2010 Spec Tarmac weights in at 17.6 lbs with nothing special (Ultegra Mech Drivetrain, HED Kermesse 1600g wheels, Rubino Pro tires, eggbeaters & Spec Phenom saddle 250g).
The TREK OCLV 500 frame is not and was never among the 'light' CF frames available - but I expect it will live a long lifespan. LOL!
Ride On
Yuri

Last edited by cyclezen; 04-28-24 at 07:23 PM.