Old 04-28-24, 09:41 PM
13ollocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony_G
I just picked up my new Trek Domane SL 5. I had it weighted at the shop and with Race Face Chester pedals (360 grams per pair) already attached it was 21 pounds 7 ounces. This is with with tubeless tires. Deducting the pedals, it comes out to 20.64 pounds (sorry for mixing pounds and ounces, grams, and decimal pounds).

The Trek site says a size 56 cm 2024 SL 5 weighs 19.69 pounds (tubeless, no pedals). My frame size is 50 cm, so if anything I would expect it to be lighter. I know there is some variation with carbon frames, but is almost a whole pound out of the ordinary?

It is still a nice bike, and I am looking forward to taking my first real ride on it tomorrow. But I also feel that I didn’t get everything that I paid for.
I'm betting it's a combination of the variation in frame/bike weight and the inaccuracy of the scale. The Park scale is a glorified fish scale - the fact that the readout is digital has nothing to do with the accuracy of the spring system that's registering the weight.
While I understand that the importance of bike weight is somewhat overblown, bikes have definitely become porky - we're looking at 20-21lb as nothing unusual for a CF frame with decent bits - yikes