cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 715 Times in 477 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
This is a joke right? A manufacturer builds bikes in a factory overseas and the weight is possibly slightly off but it wasn't measured by Trek for you and then the time it was measured was with un-measured pedals and tubeless tires that also probably has unmeasured sealant, valves and rim tape? Why do people buy these bikes then care about weight that may or may not be off.

If you care seriously about a lightweight bike, a bike listed at 19lbs would be heavy and you would build your own and make it light.
My take on the OP's question was his suprise, given the published approx weight by the Manufacturer, that a lb.+ is a significant deviation from what was published. Especially given his smaller sized frame/bike. All the components are a know quantity, quality frame should also not have much deviation, so a lb+ is a lot.

My post was mainly to 'confirm' that what he found was probably 'reality', not a major anomaly in just his bike.

In my case, I bought the bike fully knowing what I was getting, and not expecting more. Also fully expecting to be making some changes. Having ridden 'THIS' bike before committing to purchase.
Not unhappy with the bikes I currently ride a lot. If I can make this new bike feel as 'nice' as those - great! AND fully intending to make changes, upgrades if that fits, to see what might have a significant effect on 'ride', and see if 'weight' also is part of the story. It's an experiment...
If I can bring it to level of my current road bikes, which are all 10 yrs old or older, then Great ! If not, I'll sell it for whatever it might go for... No issues, no problem.
It's not the money, I have a bunch of fun learning what this experiment might teach me.
If I had spent 4 times what this bike cost me, I'd have very, very high expectations, and hopefully, mostly have them met... My expected changes will cost about half again of the bike cost, which would still be considered a bargain compared to the price of a similarly fitted 'Off the Shelf' bike cost.
I think most knowing riders also know that 'weight' isn;t everything, but it is a 'thing'.... So for a bike with $3400 MSRP, one might expect it to be in the 'light' road bike category... 21+ lbs is not that, compared to the similar bike, 19ish lb, of 8-10 yrs ago which prolly sold for $2K-$2.2K.
SO, with this thread a lot of questions get asked, some answers might be found, some not.
And, it also addresses expectations, so met, some not even close.
So, if one has expectations to be able to get a 'light bike from TREK (and other bike makes?), well under 20 lbs, it might not be met by even a $5k bike... ?
For some this might be an important consideration.
Ride On
Yuri
and , yes, I prefer my 2014 Tarmac well over any of my old gaspipe, and many of the 'great' newer bikes I've had some opportune miles to log a few miles on...
Not a plug for Spec or Tarmac, it's just a bike I like a lot. But had the experiment be able to be done with an ORBEA, WILLIER, CERVELO or RIDLEY, instead of a TREK, I would have quickly jumped on that.

Last edited by cyclezen; 04-28-24 at 10:57 PM.