Old 04-29-24, 08:36 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
The weight penalty is definitely shrinking, but for the same dollars, the comparable disc brake bike is still heavier. And at the pointy end it’s hard to get a 12-13lb disc brake bike.

That said, given where the market has gone, assuming you’re going to own the bike for awhile, I would definitely go disc for future compatibility alone.
I agree but this is where the debate of, does weight really matter comes in and what benefit is there to a 12lb-13lb bike? I own an Aethos Fact 10r and even at 14.6lbs with pedals, cages, and mounts I will say that's kind of the lightest I would go because anything lower stiffness, aero profiles, and sometimes even lack of durability comes into play. IMO the fact that a semi aero all around race bike in the Tarmac SL 8 now can weigh 15lbs stock is insane and really puts the nail in the coffin for rim brakes for me. I think rim brake bikes are fine but if you are dealing with carbon wheels I would say they are pointless. The idea of delamination or frankly just wearing down a rim little by little from a safety perspective is insane and that's all to say rim brakes while in perfect conditions can be very good, once you add dust or water they suck. Listen hydraulic brakes are no walk in the park, I can go on and on about rotor rub, rotor and pad contamination, the cost of bleeding brakes, and the hassle of hydraulics with integrated cockpits but in the end of the day they simply are better. Again don't go and throw-out your rim brake bike but if you are buying new, rm brakes wouldn't even cross my mind