Old 04-29-24, 09:29 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 428 Posts
Well, the Falcon is back together and I took it for a shakedown ride. Hey — nothing fell off!

My first problem was before leaving home; I’ve tried three different pairs of conventional shoes and could not get any of them into the toe clips and straps (I wish I had not thrown out my old Detto Article 7’s, even though a bit small now!) so riding was problematic. Thus I simply removed the pedals and screwed in a set of SPD clipless ones I had, and rode off. The owner is going to need to decide (a) he has shoes that will fit, (b) invest in clipless shoes and pedals, or (c) get a set of open MTB pedals and just ride in sneakers (I guess one could use the Campy pedals with no toe clips). Also not a fault of the bike, my by-eyeball estimate of seat positioning was off, for me at least, and I had a bit of seat pain and knee pain; I suspect raising, moving back, and tilting the seat a wee bit would have helped. But it’s not my bike.

My impression was smooth rolling, comfortable and stable; after getting off the Peugeot, it felt less lively but it took less effort to control — I really should start measuring frame angles, etc.. It certainly did not feel slow, but I have not installed bike computers on any of these projects so I cannot report average speeds. Once settled in, I’d consider it a ride-it-all-day bike. There was a disheartening moment with a little freewheel skip on the 5th cog, but I could not duplicate it, so I think I just wasn’t on that cog completely, as I could not duplicate it; after almost 50 years since I last used bar-end shifters, I quickly got the hang of it.

Time for another check of bolt tightness, and another ride, and done. Some do not care for my generous brake cable loops — I can give the owner the choice, I can bob the cables readily enough.

Likes For tiger1964: