Old 04-29-24, 12:57 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 876 Posts
Full fenders with rim brakes and road calipers

I have a newly acquired rim brake bike with regular road style brake calipers. It currently has 25mm tires installed, with around 10mm of clearance between a 25mm tire and the brake caliper, and about 5mm of clearance between the tires and rear seat stays on each side. The front tire has more clearance than the rear. I'd love to bump up to 28mm tires on this bike, which would squeeze that rear seat stay clearance down to around 3mm on each side and maybe drop the brake caliper clearance down to around 8mm. I haven't tried this yet, but assuming it'll fit based on my observed clearances.

I am wondering if/how I could attach full-length fenders (mud guards for the non-USA crowd) to this bike? My bike has eyelets for mounting, and I've installed full fenders on disc brake frames before and understand how they attach, but I'm not sure how full-length fenders work with rim brakes. Do the fenders slide between the caliper and tire? Any idea how much room these take up and how that would affect available clearance for tires?

I've tried googling this, but most photos online show bikes with touring style cantilever brakes, or v-brakes. I can't find any good photos of full fenders on traditional road caliper rim brake bikes and am wondering if anyone has examples or suggestions on how this works.

Thanks.