View Single Post
Old 04-29-24, 02:08 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Liked 5,879 Times in 2,972 Posts
Originally Posted by 2muchroad
The principals of bicycle shifting were perfected a very long time ago.

Whenever a technology has reached it's peak of ingenuity, people invent gimmicks instead of actually innovating.

Granted, manufacturers have to eat too, but at some point we must insist on actual, revolutionary technology improvements and refuse these incremental, minor upgrades that come around once a year to drain our pockets.

Same goes for phones, laptops and computer hardware as a whole.
When I got 9 speed Ultegra I thought it was the bee's knees and was all anyone could want. 25 years later my 11 speed GRX just blows the 9 speed away. Incremental maybe but it shifts better and requires less maintenance though operating on the same principles. I don't think it even costs more in real dollars. I thought my DA 7800 calipers were the "peak of ingenuity." Duh. My current GRX discs are much nicer even for my undemanding use. My prediction is that as you become more familiar with bikes and cycling you'll come to better understand and appreciate the advances. They aren't imaginary and people aren't suckers for embracing improvements. Edit- I do agree that the change to electronic shifting is more fundamental than incremental. A few more refinements and price reductions and it will take over road cycling beyond C&V.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 04-29-24 at 02:14 PM.