Old 04-29-24, 09:27 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 1,267 Times in 804 Posts
Goodness gracious sakes alive! They publish "optimistic" weights!!! Unheard of!!!

Are there any bike or component companies that don't publish "optimistic" weights? The only companies that I've dealt with are those (very few) that actually weigh the stuff they ship. Most all of the bike parts (frames, forks, and every other part) I've bought in the past couple of decades (never weighed anything before that) has been a few grams heavy over advertised. It adds up. It would be impossible to predict the actual weight of a complete bike. Noone should ever think advertised weighs are accurate.

That's why among the weight weenies, there are extensive shared data on actual measured weights. It's a fun hobby - researching and looking for value in lightweight parts from front to back on a bike. I used to do it and enjoyed it. Now I've lost interst in it but don't rrot out the old chestnuts like "lose a pound of body weight" or "a pound is less than a full water bottle" or the most clever: "take a dump before the ride". Those people don't get it.

Last edited by Camilo; 04-29-24 at 09:34 PM.