View Single Post
Old 04-29-24, 09:43 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 209 Posts
I rarely run red lights. A one place the intersection is so complicated, I don't even look at the light, I just study the traffic because oncoming my turn left across my path becasue they have the same green light I have, though should yield to me. Behind me is a right turn lane, that again if green, cars will just come around without regard to checking the crosswalk I use (bike path crosses there). So, in many ways it is safest when the light is red for me as the only direction traffic should be coming from is from my left on the cross street, as it is a one-way street.

I will run red lights on intersections where the cross street comes in from my left, but doesn't go through. I.E. a 'T" intersection. But even then, not if cars are turning left off the side street. It freaks those drivers out, even though I would be in the shoulder and they of course wouldn't be. Plus of course, it's not uncommon for people to swing wide in a turn and possibly cross into the shoulder/bike lane.

And there is the occasional intersection where I can't trip the light to turn unless I awkwardly work over to the sidewalk and press a button. If a car isn't around to trip the light, and there is no cross traffic, I'm going on the red. But I take my time and triple check for traffic.