View Single Post
Old 05-01-24, 09:50 AM
MilhouseJ

Bikes: Probably too many...

Liked 76 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by pambam
Wasn't sure what forum to post this in, so I'll try this one. I don't own a car and my bicycle is my main form of transportation. But I get a puncture about 20% of the times that I ride, and that's drifting up to 25%. I cannot do anything technical to save my life, so it's a lot of money to have them constantly repaired. But why does this keep happening to me? I try to avoid the curbs where lots of glass might be and I'm anyway usually on a bikepath. I keep my tires as inflated as I can. Am I doing something wrong??
Watch some YouTube videos on how to change a tube, get some quality tubes with removable valve cores (Continental is a great choice), and look into getting some Muc-Off tube sealant. I use this sealant in the tubes of both commuter bikes as well as my (and my wife's) touring bikes, and I love the added assurance that I won't be stuck changing a tube in the rain on the side of a busy road. It also allows me the flexibility to use more supple tires (folding bead) without worrying that the carcass is too thin because I don't feel the need to focus on getting thicker "armored" tires.
Of course, your mileage may vary and you could have better luck with a different setup. This is just my experience.😁