Originally Posted by Pratt
I break it down into several sublists.
Repairs, to bike, to me, first aid
Navigation and Communication
Clothing, on bike, off bike
Tent, Toilette, and Sleeping
Cooking, Snacks
Miscellaneous, eating, etc.
Then I pack the panniers according to when I might need the stuff, e.g. en route, on the left side, in camp, on the right.
Same process here.

I've noticed that for the first trip (2-months long with kids) I overestimated what is "necessary". I carry less than a third of what I would have, back then. And the process is probably not over yet -- for example, I used to carry a spare tire even in Western Europe/Western America. Which I no longer do -- Restrap boots could have repaired every tire damage I've had in years.

On the fence WRT chain. Obviously available anywhere, but I have a strong preference for the Wippermanns, assuming that they last longer. And not obvious WRT fuel. Two years ago I was cooking on Esbit (most compact, but smells, difficult to find supplies under way, wasteful). Past summer was planning on small (think Jetboil) gas canisters. They were out of stock across France and the UK at the start of the season (post COVID??). So I plan on carrying a spare. Perhaps not necessary at all. And there is the umbrella -- game changer when hiking, but obviously you won't pedal holding an umbrella and at rest you can usually find some cover. But it weighs next to nothing, takes no meaningful space (lash alongside a dry bag) and it *sometimes* a benediction...