View Single Post
Old 05-02-24, 12:59 AM
Ssj

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
I took the first outdoor ride of this year yesterday and wind noise was intolerable as I rode into a strong headwind. I'm pretty sure it's the combination of my helmet and perhaps my ear shape? I've never dealt with such bad wind noise from previous helmets in over 3 decades of riding. If my Evade helmet didn't fit so well, I'd be looking for something else.

I tried an experiment to reduce the wind noise... I tied my headband so that it covered my ears, which made a considerable difference. At first I thought it did nothing until I saw my reflection in my Garmin computer and realized my "ear holes" weren't covered. Once I covered my ears completely, the harshness of the wind noise was noticeably reduced. The problem with this "solution" is that the band kept slipping-up and off the bottom of my ears. I'm on the hunt now for a wider headband / sweatband that will serve the dual-purpose of keeping sweat out of my eyes and hopefully cover my ears. A third benefit would be that covered ears would protect them from sun damage on long rides.
This is exactly what I do. I ride with a headband from Gore that is made of a thin fabric like a bike jersey.
Likes For Ssj: