View Single Post
Old 05-02-24, 07:14 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 285 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
I'm going to sit down an watch that entire video... I definitely have some form of issue with dopamine imbalance or whatever it can be called. I simply feel flat out numb in the brain all the time. Nothing really changes my demeanor - I'm at constant level of meh.

The potential joy of some future event, the excitement for that event, the motivation for that event - doesn't really exist. I used to go apesh1t with excitement and anticipation over special events or happenings - now I'm just blah.

A past 5 year span of cycling on/off steroids, muscle relaxers and pain meds for my broken back - along with drinking - just muted my senses. Never had any form of addiction issues, never took anything long term, just in cycles - but something in that cocktail changed me.

I struggle to find motivation for just about anything.
Sorry to hear about that. Huberman has more than one vid on how to increase- regulate dopamine. He is about as dry as toast, but he is a college professor after all. I enjoy his vids, but I don't mind listening to an interesting lecture for 2 hours.

He has a vid on how alcohol effects the body too. Don't watch that one if you ever want to drink again. I started drinking too much during covid and found it more difficult to taper off than I realized. Alcohol can definitely screw up your motivation levels, even changing brain patterns over time.

I find that the more I force myself to create better morning routine habits the more motivation I have for necessary tasks. I try to get out and do a leisure ride around the neighborhood right after daylight. I learned from Huberman that early morning sunlight viewed without sunglasses as you move drastically help hormone levels to help you feel better all day. Extra hot or cold showers help too. Basically, anything I can do early that feels difficult to me can help me have motivation for other things later.

The big thing for me is controlling my thoughts. It's a huge revelation to realize that you can actually choose what to think about. A bit of quietly sitting and deliberately thinking positively can do wonders.

If you don't find any help from Huberman please look into Wim Hoff breathing. There is truly something amazing happening through his process. Best wishes to you, my friend.