Old 05-02-24, 07:33 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 433 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
Sorry to hear about that. Huberman has more than one vid on how to increase- regulate dopamine. He is about as dry as toast, but he is a college professor after all. I enjoy his vids, but I don't mind listening to an interesting lecture for 2 hours.

He has a vid on how alcohol effects the body too. Don't watch that one if you ever want to drink again. I started drinking too much during covid and found it more difficult to taper off than I realized. Alcohol can definitely screw up your motivation levels, even changing brain patterns over time.

I find that the more I force myself to create better morning routine habits the more motivation I have for necessary tasks. I try to get out and do a leisure ride around the neighborhood right after daylight. I learned from Huberman that early morning sunlight viewed without sunglasses as you move drastically help hormone levels to help you feel better all day. Extra hot or cold showers help too. Basically, anything I can do early that feels difficult to me can help me have motivation for other things later.

The big thing for me is controlling my thoughts. It's a huge revelation to realize that you can actually choose what to think about. A bit of quietly sitting and deliberately thinking positively can do wonders.

If you don't find any help from Huberman please look into Wim Hoff breathing. There is truly something amazing happening through his process. Best wishes to you, my friend.

I stopped drinking 3 years ago this August. I was always a weekend drinker, but like you I ramped up during Covid... Never did have the full blown disease, but I did like to drink. I just up and walked away from it...

Alcohol used to cause me the biggest rush in life - instant takeoff into what was probably a huge dopamine rush. Even planning for a drinking event would put me into another level of excitement/euphoria. For me, it was a hugh motivator.

Since stopping the booze - I don't want to use my boat, go fishing, have cookouts at the house, go to parties or out to bars with friends...after quitting is when I started to feel numb.

Thanks for the material - I will try and absorb as much of it as I can.
Likes For Jughed: