BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
BCDrums: I Have the older Daytime Red Taillight - Daytime Only Dinotte Taillight and the predacesor to the D6. The new D6 is on my upcomming purchase list. I like it when I look in my mirror and see people moving over at a good distance back because they see my light. Prior to purchasing a flashing taillight someone sideswiped me nocking me over onto a sandy shoulder. I was lucky and had no lasting physical injuries from this incident.
Rick,

I am happy to hear that you landed on a sandy shoulder and that you are here to tell of it. The four most awful words quoted after a bike crash is, "I didn't see him/her." It would be hard to miss a Dinotte light, and I have told my potential widow to bring one to court after the "accident."

EDIT: I called Dinotte for some help with the mounting clamps. They say, de NOE tay, rather than di NOT.

Anyway, I have the most-recent Dinotte lights, the D6. Here's a photo of the previous model, the Quad Four, and the newer D6.

Dinotte Quad Red tail light mounted on seat stay

The D6 taillight, 2024

The newer model is taller and less wide. I believe it has a larger/longer internal battery than the Quad Four. This would account for its claimed longer time between charges. I don't have enough time with the new lights to have an opinion on that. It did fit on the same mount as the Q4.

I feel pretty confident about this light, it's hard to miss. But I rode for decades with no lights, so... With a safety device, you may never know if it was effective, or if you just got lucky!