View Single Post
Old 05-03-24, 08:45 AM
pstock

Bikes: (shortlist) Cyclops, Marinoni, Mariposa, Air Firday, Pocket Rocket Pro, NWT, SLX Fuso, Claude Pottie (France) x3, Masi Team 3v, Lemond Zurich, Bianchi OS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
Are you concerned about the overall elevation, the steepness of climbs and descents or the total amount of climbing in a day?
can I say D All of The Above? :-)

But primarily it is Steepness of Climbs that concerns me. (plus possibly cold temperatures which I find can sap my energy fast - but I'll have gloves, hat, longs and a jacket)
if I was just riding solo, I would have no concerns (except the cold)
My Bike Friday is geared to climb

but towing a trailer is a different animal.
on past tours I have faced steep pitches (I don't remember the grade) that while short have almost broken me.
that trailer goes from moving well to feeling like a stone anchor.
One, was only about 200m long (in town in the Canary Islands and I had to get up it to get to my hostel) I might have had to push the rig up the last stretch. I can't remember now.

But you are correct. it looks slow and steady. if I just keep doing Left Right Left Right I find I can surmount almost anything.

But it's also the unknownness of it all that makes me anxious. I'll have just got off the plane. I am not in End Of Summer riding condition.

But I am probably just being a Nervous Nelly.