Thread: Small bike?
View Single Post
Old 05-05-24, 02:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4523 Post(s)
Liked 4,227 Times in 2,827 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
There's making a point, and there's an opinion, but in the OP's case a smaller, light weight folder might work. They're easy to load in a car, work well for general riding, are cost efficient, are easy to store, and can be ridden in almost all the same terrain as a non-folding bicycle. I own 2 folders that actually ride as good as my full-sized bikes. The folding aspect to them is just an added bonus, even though I hardly ever fold them myself. We're suggesting a folder as another option, especially since the weight limit issue is (thankfully) moot nowadays.
I wouldn't say cost efficient, as you have to add folding mechanisms which either add to the cost or lower the quality. Most smaller wheel folders cannot ride as well as a full size bike, a larger wheel is more efficient at covering more ground. They might be comfortable and they can ride well but to say they ride as well as a full sized bike is certainly also opinion but we know a larger wheel will hold speed better.

I am not anti folding bikes mind you I see there purpose but I don't see them as a good alternative to a full sized bike unless you truly need something that folds.