Old 05-05-24, 03:14 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 967 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Originally Posted by spclark
Garmin's Varia products range from $99.99 (RVR315) through the same $199.99 (RTL515) price point as the TREK @ $199.99 on up to significantly higher top end RCT715 @ $349.99.

So as this for me is a foray into a newish realm, I'm willing to go with a mid-range competitor, see whether it offers anything worthwhile to my admittedly recreational biking pursuits.
Given that they are the same price, what made you pick the Trek over the Garmin 515? I would have thought the Garmin was a safer bet given it’s relatively long proven history (a 3rd gen product).
The second paragraph doesn't follow from the first (the first paragraph doesn't explain anything). We still have no idea why @spclark picked the Trek.

The Trek Carback isn't a "midrange" competitor (implying cheaper with less functions, I guess). It's (pretty much) equivalent to the Garmin 515 in price and function. The RVR315 and RCT715 are quite different products (though one could consider the RVR315 as a "lower range" competitor).

In any case, Trek should be an OK thing to try (even with it not having a long history).