sir_crash_alot
Noob Bee

Bikes: Specialized Crux, Winspace SLC 2.0, Giant TCR Alliance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by RunnerT
You are making quite a lot of progress from what i see, reminds me of my own training a few years back.

I am sitting at around 300W for a 20 min test at 70 kg, nothing crazy by any means. As my name suggests i run a bit as well. Just wanted to share what i have experienced had the biggest impact on my general fitness on the bike and run.

-High protein intake, 3g/kg. This will help you recover faster and increase Vo2 max. Google it, quite a lot of research done on it. Keeping fat intake at around 1,2-1,5 g/kg, protein intake at around 3g/kg and putting the rest on carbs is a great way to get better at using fats as fuel. And making sure you fuel properly before, during and after is important if you want 5w/kg. This i probably where most fail, including myself. If you get sick often, look into calories in and out, you might be underfueling just slightly on daily basis.
-Red meat.
-Higher candace on z2 rides, if you have long legs like me you sort of need to force yourself above 90 rpm.
-Strength training, box squats and deadlifts work for me, might be different for you. I usually go for 20 reps at around 60% of max. 2-3 sets.
-Structured training is a must! A hometrainer is excellent for threshold efforts, you need to get better at these, sorry!
-Low candance (40-50 rpm) training on the bike, again strength training.

Gut bacteria is a big one as well.. but it would take me a few hours to write about that. Google is your friend.
Caffeine
Baking soda
Beetroot extract
Iron supplements if you go above 12h/week
Gut bacteria is I think the next big thing in cycling fitness (if not already). I'm going to start making my own kombucha.

I need to add more weight training too. I've been neglecting it in preference of the trainer!