View Single Post
Old 05-07-24, 08:10 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Liked 826 Times in 464 Posts
I moved back to Colorado from Tucson last week and am getting acclimated. I've been on a couple of 30+ mile rides, one in the foothills with 3,300' of climbing. I hope to get higher soon but spring weather in the Rockies keeps interfering. There's still fresh snow coming in up there, and extremely high winds (80 mph yesterday).

I'm back at work at a non-profit bike shop that takes donations of old bikes and turns them around for people who need bikes. Once in a while we get a nice bike donated and we sell it as a fundraiser, to keep the lights on. I just bought one or those for myself, a 2012 Specialized Tricross Elite Disc, to replace a heavy Fuji gravel bike. The new bike ticks all my boxes--it'll take a rack for touring, and the compact 2 x 10 drivetrain has a low gear of 34/32, plenty low for road climbing in the Rockies. Riding the lighter bike up Lookout Mt (an 1800' climb in six miles, easy grade) I got most of the way up before I realized I was still in the big ring.

I turn 67 later this month and, weather permitting, will Ride My Age with a group of fellow geezers from the bike shop. It's easy to do that on the MUPs around Denver. I also have a similar urban bike path century route planned for later in the summer.