Thread: Small bike?
View Single Post
Old 05-07-24, 11:04 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4475 Post(s)
Liked 4,144 Times in 2,772 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Damon
No, you don't. You only think you do.
No I get them. I think people enjoy using them beyond their normal usage and that is fine but I do understand the reason and purpose for a folding bike. If there were a huge advantage to smaller wheels we would see mountain bikes still using 26" or smaller. Wider tires would not be as popular either as those create a larger tire. You don't see Specialized or Trek with folding bikes and I don't think at least in the U.S. Giant stop doing folding bikes. Most of the major manufacturers who make bikes don't also do folding. Not as a knock to folding bikes I wouldn't want to compete with Tern they make some really great bikes all learned from David Hon of Dahon, Brompton is super neat as well, Bike Friday and Birdy (totally want a belt drive Rohloff Birdy sadly R+M doesn't sell in the U.S. and I have heard Pacific can be hit or miss). However you would still think they would maybe make a more concerted effort to make something to compete with these folks even at some point in history but I cannot think of anyone aside from Giant who makes mostly full size non-folding bikes (not counting something like the GSD or HSD which have a folding handlepost) who also does folding bikes?