View Single Post
Old 05-09-24, 04:30 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2022 Trek Supercaliber, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Liked 8,946 Times in 4,197 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
After the 116 mile gravel race I did this past weekend the Thunderos did everything I could ask for and they did it well. Mud, sand, packed gravel, loose gravel, 2 track fire roads littered with rocks and boulders...They handled it all.

I was considering a Swampero for the front tire, but now not I am not sure I need to. I had a two mile segment of this. Basically mud holes as shown for the majority of the length. I thought for sure that I would get dumped by the mud or have to walk the bike but the Thunderos kept gripping and I kept pedaling.

That's a hell of a test. 40s or 44s? A lot of what I encounter in my riding is sand-over-hardpack, and the Swampero handles it really well. That said, I haven't tried a Thundero 40 on the front, yet. I've done one ride with Thundero 48s at both ends, and had no complaints about handing in the dirt. I didn't love them on pavement, however.