Old 12-20-07, 04:24 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6270 Post(s)
Liked 4,297 Times in 2,406 Posts
Originally Posted by theranman
Some might look at the flip side of the coin and claim that lots of seat post showing is indicative of a bike that's too small.

In the old days (70's), they used to say that a properly fitted road bike would have a "fistful" of seatpost showing, but hey, if your fist is 6", the women must love ya!

I noticed in the pics that the handlebars were also considerably below seat level on some of those bikes. Perhaps you just prefer a lower, more aggressive riding position? Most tourers like to have the bars level with or above the seat height. I know I do, and I'm showing about 4" of post.
I fit my road bikes like I always have...standover height on a road bike is about an inch. Mountain bikes have about 3". The saddles are set so that my leg has a slight bend to it. I can't...and never have been able to...put my foot on the ground from the saddle. If I ride with my saddle that low, my knees hurt!

I think my bars are set kind of high. I use to run them lower but I just can't bend like that anymore.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!