Old 12-21-07, 05:54 AM
staehpj1

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
OK it should have been 3 or 4 inches showing, not 2 or 3. But I still have to say that 6" plus unrestrained lever arm seems as if it would vibrate like a tubing fork and apart form that the bike looks too small and, well, ugly- all out of proporton, but each to his own, the wonderful thing about cycling is that you can do it your own way.
Obviously aesthetics are subjective, but I think the opposite. When I see a bike with 3" of seat post showing I think of either some old guy with a tweed jacket with suede patches on the elbows or of old fading pictures from 1976 of smiling young people riding Bike Centennial.

Maybe it is because I was involved in racing before I was in touring. The better performance riders that I have ridden with/against all seemed to have what looked like a foot of seat tube showing and that may have affected my sense of aesthetics.

Now if we ignore aesthetics...
1. I think that small frames are stiffer.
2. You could never get the bars low enough to suit me with a frame as large as you prefer, but you can always get the bars higher with a different stem.