View Single Post
Old 02-19-08, 02:13 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by pinkrobe
It was a warm, sunny weekend, and the snow is off the roads! Mostly. Regardless, the switch to slicks was worth it. That was an easy ride in! Taking almost 3 pounds of rotating weight off of the bike makes such a difference when trying to sprint through traffic.
I was wondering whether slicks would work this week... I'm thinking I need to get back out there! (Hey, I'm a west-coaster, you've gotta give me a few winters to get used to this stuff).

Anyway, was wondering which bike to bring out - it is something of an adventure to get into the shed and then back across the thawing-dog-poo minefield of the yard with a bike, and I don't really want to do it more than once!

Choices are: random mountain bike with knobbies (there's 3, I'll grab whichever is on the outside; none have rack or fenders), road bike with slicks (also sans rack & fenders, but I have some that will fit it), or old trusty Raleigh (with medium grippy tires, but steel rims - already set up with rack & fenders though). Thoughts?

Bus commuting sucks, by the way. You know you're a bike commuter when you spot someone out there in -50C windchill and think "hmmm.... wonder what he's using for a base layer... and how he's stopping his cables from freezing..." rather than "oh my god, that man is dangerously insane." And when you calculate how far you could have ridden in the time you have been waiting for the bus, taking the headwind into account, and realize you'd be there already...