Old 05-19-08, 02:27 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6262 Post(s)
Liked 4,285 Times in 2,402 Posts
Originally Posted by bcody
I'm planning on buying and building up an 80's Japanese touring frame. Something like a Nishiki Riviera, or Miyata 610.

I'd like to use newer components where I can, and I know that I may run into problems if I try to install a modern hub. The rear spacing of these frames is something like 124mm whereas the modern hubs I'm looking at are around 136mm. I'd be fine with doing the cold setting (bending chainstays), but I'd like to explore other options as well.

What do you think about using a new Suntour GPX 7 spd 126mm OLN (36 hole) hub? I don't know what type of bike this hub is meant for. Would it work for loaded touring? Here's more info on the hub.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.a...S&currency=USD

Also, if anyone has any further advice about other problems I might run into trying to install newer components on a vintage frame, please let me know.
Don't. Unless you have a bucket full of old GPX cassettes, you'll be stuck with something you can't get parts for. You'd even be better off with a freewheel than the GPX.

Go with a 36 hole Shimano 105 hub. It's easy to spread the rear triangle from 126 to 130. 8 or 9 spd cassette will work fine.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!