Thread: Birdy thread
View Single Post
Old 01-31-09, 12:01 AM
yangmusa

Bikes: Brompton H6, Schwinn Mirada, Cruzbike Sofrider. Used to own: ICE B1, 2 F-frame Moultons, Koga Myata Elevation 5000 mtb, Challenge Hurricane, Riese & Mueller Birdy Silver, Actionbent Tidalwave 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So, I went through Jur's list, point for point. And I think I've finally solved it The bearings on the front suspension pivot were dirty with a black powdery substance. I think the fork may have a slight manufacturing defect, because the alignment of the bearings was a little off - this may have caused the rubbing. On one side the bearing just slipped out. On the other, I had to twist and wiggle the fork because both sides of the pivot were not aligned 100%. Not far out, but not quite right.

Anyway, I cleaned them up and packed them with grease before reassembly. I did a quick test ride, and it was smooth and quiet. Joy! I'm going for a 40 mile ride tomorrow, so that would be the final proof... I'm hoping for the best!

[EDIT]: to anyone who has a creaky Birdy and wants to grease their pivots - note that the manual states when reassembling you must use thread locking compound to hold the two halves of the pivot bolt together.

Last edited by yangmusa; 02-04-09 at 02:31 PM.