Old 06-01-09, 06:34 PM
SSBully
HAMMER DOWN

Bikes: Sold '08 Jamis Coda Comp, building a Leader 720TR. I know, let the hating begin!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrrabbit
There must be a secret desire to ban "Fred's" and "Fatties" from road bikes here...

I mean seriously...suggestions for a touring bike? What is wrong with helping a guy out in making a lightweight road racing bike feasible?

Geesh!

90% of my ride buddies - on the few occasions I go out for an all day ride - are "fatties" - who just so happen to love nice road bikes and a fast decent downhill after they've earned the hill.

One owns a couple dozen rode bikes including Gios, Miele, Poliaghi, and the GT's from the mid-90s. His Poliaghi is his favorite ride, the Gios the nicest to look at...most are Super Record or newer Record equipped. The key for him is to go with double-walled double-eyeleted rims with 14/15/14 or straight 14 spokes - with myself doing the builds and getting the tension right. 32 holes works just fine.

Try to be a little more encouraging folks...

=8-)
x2! It helps to know how to ride "lightly", or unweight the proper wheel before impact though. I agree that you can have light and durable and be a clyde, but the wheel gestapo will tell you no way! You can only ride heavy 36h wheels. Your budies wheels will last because a competent human put the time into them to make sure they were right before they were ridden.