Old 06-24-09, 11:18 AM
Kevrob
Eternal Newbie

Bikes: Univega Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At a 4-way stop, the driver reaching the intersection first, goes first (after coming to a complete stop). If more than one vehicle arrives at the same time, the vehicle on the right, goes.
- http://www.onlinetrafficschoolguide....ving_laws.html

Just this morning I was approaching a 4-way stop, with a lady in an SUV nearing the stop line to my immediate left. It was plain to me that she was going to reach the intersection first, therefore she would have the ROW. I was slow-rolling and about to put my foot down, so I waved her through. It could be that, since I was on her right, she figured I had the ROW.

I believe many people don't know the rules for proceeding at a 4-way stop. Some are overcautious as a result, while others take the point of view that the universe is ordered for their sole convenience, and do whatever the hell they think will serve them best.

Yesterday afternoon I was ready to turn left onto the 2-lane state highway from a full stop, having signaled. Across the street, at a 45º angle, was another road with a STOP sign. A fellow was going to turn right onto the same road I was about to use. He would have had the ROW, except:

• I had reached the intersection first, and

• He hadn't come to a full stop.

I, in the midst of my turn, extended my right hand and arm in the universal sign for hey, waitaminute buddy! He slowed and nodded at me, and I swung into the right third of the lane.

Did I mention that this intersection is right in front of the town green, behind which is the town hall, complete with police station? You'd think that people would mind their P's and Q's where they are most likely to get ticketed, but, sadly, they are often oblivious.

Kevin