Old 09-19-09, 11:29 AM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
InfiniteDreams --
Most LBS will allow you to swap out parts but you still have to pay for them. For example, I asked my LBS about ordering my 7.7 with the Race XX Lite wheels ($$$) instead of the Race wheels that come on it from the factory. My LBS said I would have to pay for the new wheels but they would give them to me almost at the LBS cost since I was buying the bike from them.

Essentially, it's not a swap out - I still would have had to pay for the extra parts i wanted to swap out (whatever it was - wheels, handlebars, etC) but at a lower cost than if i had gone in to buy the parts alone.

About inconveniencing the LBS - it's your dough and they are there to help you. If you ever feel as though your requests/special orders are too much for the LBS, consider going elsewhere. You are giving them business, they should be thankful that you are there PLUS you should be 100% comfortable when talking with them. the guys at my LBS spoke to me like friends rather than a salesman telling you to get this bike instead of that one etc.

About your gearing question - I am not so technical about gearing so I cannot answer that.

Robin --
I hope you are enjoying your 7.6 . I love that model and the new one looks great in pics.

Tome --
I don't know why but I really have a big problem with Bontrager seats - at least with the stock seats that came on both my 7.2 and 7.7 fx's..... I replaced the seat with a really plush Avenair model and the discomfort has gone down somewhat... not a lot but it's still more comfortable than the stock saddles.

The one BIG issue i have with my 7.7 is that, no matter how much i tighten the seat, my seat seems to shift (nose points upwards) after my rides.... i find myself tightening the bolt each time i take a brake on the bike path... this is insanely annoying and I am not sure why this is happening. I am going to ask my LBS to fix this when i go in for my first tune up/maintainence in a couple of months.

Riverside --
All the models you are considering are bullet proof options - all are equally awesome rides. I am sure whichever FX model you pick, you are going to fall in love with.

Last edited by sh00k; 09-19-09 at 11:32 AM.