View Single Post
Old 08-25-20, 12:12 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Might also try lowering your tire pressure a bit, or running one size wider if your frame can support it. I'm 185-190 lbs, and I run a 25c Continental GP4000 SII at around 90-95 PSI, and some say you can run lower - much lower, depending on your size.

On my other bike, I have 25c Vittoria Rubino Pros, which I run at about 95-100 PSI, as they're actually skinnier than my Continentals. Between the two tires, I find the Rubinos slightly stickier - I feel like I have a bit more confidence on them in descents, but maybe a tiny bit "draggier" on some pavement. However, the Rubino tread squares off pretty quickly, whereas I've put about 1k miles on my Continental rear tire and you can barely tell.

(Also, my impressions of the Rubinos are from this past February, as the bike that they're on is on the other side of the country...)

I've never ridden Gatorskins, but I've heard they definitely aren't the tire for you if performance is a priority. Next time it comes to getting tires, I'd probably try out Vittoria Corsas or stick with the Continental GranPrix series. Also, check to see if you have the ability to run one size wider than you have now - if you're running 23c, would be worth trying 25c (or even 28c). Going from a 23c @ 115 PSI to a 28c @ 80 PSI could make a big difference in ride and handling.