View Single Post
Old 07-15-20, 11:08 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3361 Post(s)
Liked 3,644 Times in 1,245 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I'm pretty sure that the shifting internals of the 5800s are the same as my RS505. The one niggle with gloves is that if you lightly catch the big lever in an attempt to use the little lever, you'll get nothing - it's like a ratchet doesn't catch and there's no resistance or (obv) shift. Excellent, otherwise.
I think the ones I used to have were 6600 with the cables coming out the side. Same kind of issue, I think. Could be wrong, It's been years. I just remember riding my CX bike in the cold and being annoyed with the shifting in some way.

Good info to know about the 5800s though. I am leaning towards putting them on the SLT since I found out that my wheels are 11 speed compatible, and the gaps in my current 7s cassette are getting annoying.

That would leave the 10s DA stuff on the Trek, and is making me think about keeping it fully retro and maybe doing a partial harlequin wrap with cloth tape and then shellacking the bars. Which for someone who can't leave well enough alone with changing components in and out would be a bit of a big step