View Single Post
Old 10-18-22, 10:11 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
For me, living as long as I can is not as important as living as well as I can. I like to eat and se no reason to alter my eating habits. I'm fairly trim, in good health, and enjoy physical activity. I like to drink as well. Life is good. It will end for me when it does.
This is a common misconception of the longevity science and the reasons for intermittent fasting. It is not clear that intermittent fasting extends ultimate lifespan, but it is pretty clear that it helps extend your "healthspan", which is the part of your life that you are free from age-related diseases such as arteriosclerosis, various cancers, alzheimer's, etc. A large fraction of people these days die after long periods suffering from one of these debilitating diseases. The goal is to avoid that and live well during the last part of your lifespan.

Also, I am very much a foodie and my personal view is that enjoyment of food is not changed by going to intermittent fasting. In contrast, I'd say that it is somewhat enhanced since I tend to savor my less frequent meals more.
Likes For davester: