Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4758 Post(s)
Liked 1,537 Times in 1,006 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Don't know if you were around and racing in the 1980's, when high-performance wired-on/clincher tires began to be a significant presence in the market, but almost all of the racers I knew who had used tubulars exclusively for years (since 1964, in my case) had switched to, e.g., Specialized Turbo/S clinchers by 1990 or so.

I hung on to tubulars longer than many of the others, but I eventually switched, too. Flatting two tubulars simultaneously 30 miles from home while carrying only one spare tire is probably what pushed me over the edge. I'd have flatted both clinchers, too, but I'd have been able to replace one tube and patch the other.

We had one guy working in our shop back then who was aiming to be chosen for the national road team. I only learned that he, too, had switched to clinchers when I overheard him speaking dismissively of Turbo/S tires to a customer: "I only get three or four weeks out of a Turbo/S!"

I asked him (for the benefit of the customer, really) how many miles he rode per week.

"Between 500 and 550."
Are you referring to circumstances though where you all had support vehicles, which presumably could have had an inexhaustible supply of backup wheels already set up with tubular tires on them? What would be the advantage of wired bead clinchers over tubulars in this instance?
Likes For Sy Reene: