View Single Post
Old 11-20-20, 07:50 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
Single speeding is really where it's at for me. But it wasn't always that way.

But I don't look at bikes and try to interpret them as a single speed. For one thing, full suspension bikes aren't candidates.

There are some suspension designs which can be converted, of course. I have had to restrain myself from obtaining URT frames and bikes that pivot concentric with the bottom bracket and soft tails which flex at the chain stays.

I bet they are fun to ride. Still,.I have to pass, telling myself that having one dedicated full suspension bike in the stable is enough.

I just passed up on a great deal on a track bike. I've only tried fixed for a couple of weeks, and I liked it, but I was riding it on dirt. I think a track bike for street commutes would be a blast. Still I had to pass, because I don't have enough room for more bikes, nor should I be spending on another bike project, albeit one that's complete.

There's a sticker on my bike rack. It says "pedaligamist".

I have 4 SS mountain bikes. Each one vastly different from the other. All I really need is one. But four is better!

I've got a fat bike I use for bike camping, and I'd never think of making a single speed.

I'm tempted to make one MTB bike into a street geared fixed via flip flop hub already on it. But I probably won't.
won't.

There's a gravelly bike in the stable too. It can take fenders, so it'll be in-service this winter.

We've a tandem road bike too. We really don't ride it much like we used to. But it's a keeper. No way I'd think about making that a single speed.

But once many years ago we saw a Steve Potts single speed tandem MTB for sale for cheap at a bike swap. That was long before my wife and I became single speed mountain bike fanatics. We were using tandems for touring back then. And whole we were mostly trail riders, we didn't see the appeal of a tandem SS MTB.

​​​​​​Nowadays I could see is doing that. It would be a lot of hike a bike.

We did eventually get a MTB tandem. It was a novelty. The frame eventually broke and it hangs in the garage on the wall. It was geared and full suspension. It was pretty.

When I think of a full suspension single speed I get the feeling that for most of the time, I would be better off on a hard tail. Only one of my SS bikes has a suspension fork. That's the one i take to chunkier rides.

Yeah I've got single speed-itis.