Thread: Argos
View Single Post
Old 11-24-17, 11:38 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
The SF shop is long gone (and too bad I'd say because it was a VERY short walk from where I now live) and I can't even remember the name but it was on Geary around 17th Ave. There was also a Sporting Goods shop in the same block (Family owned, might have been "Sullivan's" or something like it) also long since disappeared. So I'm probably safe from lawsuit for defamation...but if anybody's "defamed" I guess it would be Argos' reputation.

Too many LBS have shuttered in this town over the years: one of the employees at this Geary shop (I think he was named Aldo) later opened his own shop 'way East on Geary at Stanyan, he's also long gone but recall he offered a custom frame program with DeBernardi in Italy and one even could have a stainless-tubed frame (Columbus or perhaps Deda) if you so ordered.
I can't remember a shop on Geary near 17th, but it may have been before my time. I do remember Seal Rock cycles near Geary and 28th, and I used to buy stuff at Sullivan's sporting goods store. Yep, SF has certainly changed, even in the ~10 years since I moved away. The Stanyan street bike row is almost entirely gone now, as is CALA.