View Single Post
Old 03-24-20, 10:01 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadesfire
I had to go to Wally World today (and was dreading every minute of it). Luckily, there were not too many people there, but the ones that were, were not social-distancing. I almost went full-Karen on the store manager because they had one woman- who looked to be in her late seventies- walking around in her street clothes, only wearing a pair of nitrile gloves, wiping down the electronic equipment with a wash cloth she occasionally dipped into a bucket of liquid in her cart. I asked her which disinfectant she was using. It turned out to be their normal cleaner than they use on everything all the time, the main ingredient being 6.5% ammonium hydroxide, which I sincerely hope I am wrong in thinking that it has not been found effective against covid.
"Well, I have to use what they give me. It's what we use all the time and there's really nothing better out there. Anyway, what does it matter? They haven't found anything that will kill the virus, have they?" She said to me. And came back to me, a little defensive like I was attacking her. I wasn't, I fully understood that she had to do what her employer said.
"Um, 10% bleach works just fine. That has been shown to work multiple times. Good luck to you, ma'am." I hope that got her to start questioning some things, but I doubt she's in a position to do so.
I just in that moment could not comprehend a way I could have a coherent conversation with the store manager without ending up on the news or part of a viral video. Still feel guilty about it, though, I probably should have tried to say something to someone higher up.
Every day I feel the same way. Something that leaves me aghast like the person doing the cleaning using an ineffective product and not being aware there’s an effective product.

Todays was this: a cycling friend who is a dentist put up a long ranting FB post about how she closed her practice and laid off her staff because the State of California forced her to stop practicing due to COVID19 concerns. What? I asked what she was talking about and eventually it turned out the actually the California Dentistry Association has recommended that dentists not see patients unless they have the appropriate personal protective equipment for themselves and their staff. And she doesn’t have that equipment (masks etc) & can’t get it, so she can’t see patients (plus she wouldn’t see enough emergent/urgent cases to be able to support staying open). So in reality it’s a supply chain issue that has more to do with lack of pandemic preparedness on a national level. I pointed this out and she agreed with what I stated and then immediately insisted again that she was shut down by the State of California.

I asked her if she would see cases if she had PPE. Yes, she would. Emergencies and urgent things.

I asked her if the California Dentistry Assoc (which by the way is not a government organization) hadn’t issued the recommendation that dentists not see cases without PPE, what would she do? She said she’d see cases without PPE, she doesn’t think it’s necessary and she thinks her patients can use their brains and decide on their own whether to see a dentist with PPE or not. Good Lord. Your average joe can’t glance at a medical provider’s mask and assess its viability for protecting them against a specific viral infection!

Of course this post has now been spread far and wide in our circle. Doesn’t matter one iota that the fundamentals of the rant- that the State of California shut her practice down and put her and her staff out of work- isn’t true. Reality, truth, honesty just don’t matter any more.

PS Her husband works for JPL. Financially she personally will be fine.