Old 03-30-23, 03:09 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
I just got a Shimano XT 44-32-22 (9 speed) crankset and replaced the 44 with a 48 and the 32 with a 36 so now I have a 48-36-22 crank. Total cost about $150 (I am a bargain hunter).
Originally Posted by cyccommute
One caveat on the mountain crank, it has a wider chain line than your Tiagra. The front derailer won’t be able to move far enough outboard to shift properly. You can move the spacers on the drive side over to the nondrive side and it will shift just fine. I have this set up on a couple of road bikes. Or, since you have mountain shifters to begin with, you could just use a mountain front derailer. Another caveat on the front derailer if you go with a mountain one, don’t go with the highest end. Shimano high end front derailers…road and mountain…are too clever. That makes them sensitive to set up and they tend not to have as wide a range of use as their cheaper brethren. LX and below are far more forgiving on set up and use than the higher end models.
Same thing. Started from a 48-36-26 and replaced 26 with a 22. Moved one spacer to the NDS. Running it with Sora 3503 brifters, old 9 speed 105 triple FD and Microshift M46 RD. I run an 11-30 cassette, but this RD is rated for a 36t max cog.
Likes For csport: