View Single Post
Old 10-25-20, 08:47 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
I don’t have experience with 1x12 on a tandem (we are running 2x11 which works well for us.)

I do use 1x11 on my mountain bike, and that experience tells me that I don’t believe I’d be happy with a 1x setup on a road tandem.

On my mountain bike, to get a sufficiently low end, and decent spacing, the top end is a bit limited. I could go to bigger chain ring to up the top end, but that would also require a cassette with a bigger big cog and poorer spacing.

It’s not a big deal on the MTB, where top end speeds are typically much lower. However on a road bike, if you want to be capable of pedaling in the mid 20’s at a reasonable cadence, while also having a relatively low climbing gear, even with 1x12, it’s going to be a challenge to do so with reasonable gear jumps.

Of course all this depends, on how fast you want to go on the top end; how low a climbing gear you need, and how big a jumps are acceptable to you.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.