Thread: Average Speed
View Single Post
Old 09-28-22, 08:58 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
Average Speed

I’m posting this in the 50+ forum just because you guys can likely relate. I’m going on 62 years old, have been (road) riding continuously since I was 20 years old. Like many of you…’back in the day’ (20s and 30s) I could generally maintain a 20mph average on my rides without a lot of difficulty…even up to distances of 40-50 miles. Of course as the years have worn on, my average speeds have decreased. These days, the distance of my rides are anywhere from 15 miles up to 50-55 miles, and I’m averaging just 14.5 (+/- a fraction), and almost all my riding is alone. There aren’t a lot of sponsored/supported rides in my area, but I did come across one last weekend…a metric century. I figured “Oh, I’ll get to ride along with people.” But there were just 80 riders signed up for the entire event (which included rides of 12 and 25 miles), only 25-30 of us in the 100km ride. So much for riding with people. I was alone for all but maybe 10 miles. No other bike even in view. When I finished, my average speed for the 62.5 miles, without even pushing myself, was 15.5 mph. IMO, that 1 mph is a significant difference. But I just don’t get how it happened. — Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 09-28-22 at 09:39 AM.