View Single Post
Old 06-30-21, 01:23 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
I honestly don't see myself having the wherewithal to deploy a stick, pump, water bottle, spray or anything else while I'm sprinting to outrun a dog - both hands are fully occupied. I basically make the decision, based on the gradient and my own condition, to outrun the dog or stop abruptly and hop off, to defuse the dog's chase instinct. Most times, that's enough to make the dog lose interest. They might hang around for a minute to satisfy honor, but once they've shown me who's boss, they trot off home. I've never had to face more than one dog at a time in this manner, and only once did a dog stick around and keep the menace up long enough for me to start getting worried. I'm considering a small pepper spray to live in my jersey pocket, with the garage remote and the minipump, as a last resort in the event that a dog just won't back off. Very much a last resort, and probably more useful for the reassurance than for actual use. In ~45 years on the road, I've never actually needed such a thing.