Old 08-09-22, 08:42 AM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by The 2nd G
On group rides, we never ride in the shoulder.
Originally Posted by Iride01
I don't know of any down here that do ride in the shoulder. Nor does Wisconsin seem to condone riding in shoulders except for "higher speed" roads which to me will be busy US highways and maybe some state highways.

I disagree with their view that one should ride on the right of the road if they are talking extreme right. Most lanes won't allow the motorist to clear the cyclist by 3 feet required by many places and safely remain entirely in the same lane. So since the passing motorist will need part of the other lane to pass, it makes no sense to require the cyclist to ride on the extreme right of the lane.

All that will do is encourage passing motorist to squeeze by and violate the 3 feet with oncoming traffic in the other lane.

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
For the original topic title, that'd be a NO as your place in the lane has to do with the white line anyway. Left of the white line so cars don't "cheat the pass" and hit you. So the shoulder is kind of arbitrary.

Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
Around here where we don't have bike lanes we have many "bikes can use the full lane" signs so cars can smd.
The ah-ha moment is that I should take up an entire lane.
It never occurred to me to do that, as it seems reckless and selfish.
But, I agree that it's probably safer for the biker.
My instinct was to take up as little room as possible, and tuck myself into the side of the road.
But, this just invites cars to cheat the pass, as you said,

So, next ride, I will ride fully in the lane, and take up my own space, and ride like I am a car, not a meek guest infringing on car lanes.
Likes For CheGiantForLife: