Old 08-09-22, 02:55 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
It feels unsafe and borderline reckless to ride in actual traffic where there is no shoulder. For those who ride on roads with no shoulder, how do you deal with the fact that when you're riding with traffic, cars are constantly having to move half way out of the lane you're occupying? If there is not much traffic ...
It's not all on the cyclist or slower vehicle. It's on the following driver(s). Basic speed law always applies. Particularly in risky or potentially-dangerous situations like a slower-mover and attempting to effect a pass. Gotta do it safely. And that's on the person attempting it.

Frankly, there are towns where there simply are no alternative choices for getting from here to there. I live near a relatively narrow roadway such as that, with one lane in each direction, and a double-yellow dividing stripe down the middle for the whole distance. Yet, there isn't another safer way to get along the river aside from that route. And so, many cyclists use it.

And, yes, the occasional hot-head idiot criminal (read: driver) chooses to drive excruciatingly dangerously in and around the slow-movers. It's double-yellow for cause, due to the numerous side driveways and entries onto the road ... most of which simply cannot be seen until you're right on it. Which can make for passes that are deadly dangerous.

How to deal with it? IMO, visibility, and NOT being along the right-most two inches of the no-shoulder roadway. If people want to pass, THEY ARE REQUIRED BY LAW to make a safe pass when it is safe to do so. I've tried a few times, on that road, to "be nice" and occupy as little of that one lane as possible. Only to get closely passed uncounted times. Screw that. Far too dangerous. I'll be in a safe spot in the right lane, with as much lighting and hi-viz clothing as possible, and they can bloody well make a safe pass around me. Have seen it works consistently well, when larger groups of cyclists transit that road. (Double-yellow all the way, but idiot drivers will be, um, idiots. It's what they do.)

Can't see any better way around it. When there are no alternative routes, when there is no shoulder (and 3-6ft deep ditches off that lane line), when the lighting is poor (sunlight through the trees and colors/textures visually blending) ... there's not much one can do. High pucker factor on that route. But it is what it is. Drivers who frequently use that road know it's often got a cyclist or two, even a group (on the weekends). Best option is: great lighting, hi-viz clothing, and a consistent position and speed along the route. Good spot for a mirror, and video/audio recording.