Old 01-19-16, 08:55 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by suburbanbeat
Hey Treebound. We began our trip at Assateague Island and rode south to meet up with the TransAmerica Trail. Our starting point pretty much meant that we had to cross the bay at some point to get over to the mainland. I can't remember why I ruled the other bridges out, but the CBB/T made the most sense anyway, since it was the most direct route south. Also, riding along the MD/VA eastern shore was one of my favorite parts of our cross country trip, so I'm glad we went down that way.

Also, by using any other bridge, we would have had to ride through Washington D.C. I guess that to some people that would be awesome, but we weren't looking to ride through any metropolitan areas if we didn't have to.
After all, most US folks have already visited Wash DC anyway. Eastern suburbs have some sketchy higher-crime areas also. OTOH while I haven't biked thru Norfolk/VA Beach area, that's a pretty built-up area also.

Originally Posted by briwasson
Bikes are not allowed on the Bridge-Tunnel, although they do offer a shuttle. See below. I've heard mixed reviews of the responsiveness of the tunnel staff with the bike shuttle. You can always try to hitch a ride across. Heading south on the peninsula side, there is a rest area literally right next to the toll booths where a lot of people stop (nice restrooms, tourist info, etc.). You'll find plenty of people with pick-up trucks crossing the bridge. Offer to pay their toll and you'll probably have good luck (note that the toll referenced below is outdated - current tolls are $13 during the week and $15 on the weekends May through September, one-way). Heading north on the Virginia Beach side, the toll plaza is at the end of a short stretch of highway. There is on on-ramp just before the toll plaza at Shore Drive (Rt. 60) that you could easily park yourself at to look for a ride.
Good info thanks. I wouldn't have thought that CBB/T still offered a shuttle service since the (MD) Bay Bridge discontinued a similar service years ago. Kent Island Express across the Bay Bridge costs about $25 at least I think. OTOH they're pretty nice & even though I didn't have a reservation I only had to wait about 20-30 minutes for the ride. Unlike the CBB/T the BB doesn't have esp good spots to hitch.