View Single Post
Old 08-07-19, 04:29 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Teamdarb

Levi worn by Brooks Saddle. Washing in a top loading machine just increases wear.
All I can honestly say is to get use to buying jeans from a secondhand shop. I realize those without street smarts may think that sounds dumb, but check this out: many second hand shops sell brand new "work" or "flex" jean and khaki pant. These tend to be a raw jean and thick mill made to be worn in. I live on my bike. Standard jeans may last a month depending on material thickness. Tip: when buying jeans and khaki to ride in make sure the seams are finished inside or the crotch will blow out asap. It is amazing how many pant makers do not finish the interior. Skip cycling specific clothing.... they do not last longer, period. Well, unless they are made with the "mess life" seal of approval. That generally puts the price way up due to the tactical and industrial like materials being used.

Another huge tip to reduce the wear.... make sure your saddle is positioned so that you are further back on it and not down in the center or along the snout. Saddle width in the middle matters too. I have gone through a number of saddles over the years. I am five foot four inches, narrow 28 waist, but huge thighs from cycling so much. I rode a custom carbon saddle for many years as it was the most narrow and short snout. Then recently picked up a Brooks Professional S. I am able to position myself way back on it and not move around much. I have also tied the saddle sides. I attached a photo of the wear on a pair of throwback Levi commuters. Another tip: Yes, do not wash your jeans. Simply hose or rinse with Cold water. The cold water neutralizes the smell, same as when cleaning onion or garlic smell from your hands. The rolling around in the wash is just more friction added increasing wear and reducing fiber bounding.

A surprising long lasting pair of pant for me has been either a Golf and Jockey specific or marketed product.
1. I have a pair of Farah slacks made into shorts that are older than my brother's grandson.

2. I have a rebuilt laundry pair older than the father of my brother's grandson.

3. I have bikes as old as my mom with saddles as old as me.

4. I still use 1983 Sony Trinitrons.

Bonus: PCs and vintage stereo receivers double as free weights, and the second plays a lot of Bee Gees.