View Single Post
Old 03-14-21, 04:26 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Does anyone put sealant inside their tubes? I was wondering about this yesterday when I took a valve core out of a spare to give it to the kid, who needed it for his high-maintenance tubeless setup. (Why do they have removable valve cores in tubes?)

Apart from having 100 ml of fluid sloshing around, would there be any disadvantage to putting sealant in tubes?
I got a puncture on my tubular (very rare event). I carry a small 2oz bottle of Stan's sealant. I pulled over, removed the valve core with the spoke wrench on my multitool and squirted half the bottle in the tube. 1oz, or 30ml, is enough for a 23mm road tire. Sealed up instantly and it sealed so well that a week later the tire was still at full pressure. Ran it with no issues until it was time to replace the tire.

Even if that didn't work I can swap out my spare tubular in less time than it takes to change a tube.

For clinchers, if I lived in an area with dirty roads I would run tubes with removable cores and either carry a bottle of sealant or just squirt the sealant in them during installation. I have zero interest in tubless tires. My experience with them on my MTB, even just trying to mount them, has turned me against them.